1. Plug up any holes. Use foam and caulking to seal any cracks where drafts or summer heat are getting into your Santa Cruz home.
2. Close blinds. Close your drapes and blinds during the day to keep the sun and heat from getting in. This will cool the house down naturally and take the strain off the central air conditioning unit.
3. Clean filters. Clean or replace your a/c filters once a month to allow proper airflow through the system.
4. Install a Programmable Thermostat. Install a programmable thermostat to keep utility costs down by raising the temperature a few degrees during the day while no one is home, and lowering it just before family returns.
5. Unplug electronic devices. Either unplug electronic devices when not in use or turn them off by a Smart Strip. This should include televisions, computers, cell phone chargers, kitchen appliances and anything else that is draining power when not being used.
6. Don’t use the oven. This is one excuse to order takeout, grill outdoors or use your toaster oven. The oven heats up the rest of the house, forcing your Santa Cruz home air conditioner to work harder.
7. Take cooler showers. Turn down the temperature on your water heater just 15 degrees and it can save you $50.00 per year on your utility bills. Who needs a hot shower in summer?
8. Call in the professionals. Call an HVAC company to come out and inspect your air conditioning unit once a year to make sure it is running smoothly and there are no leaks. This will prevent it from going out when you really need it, and keep it running at its most efficient.
9. Buy appliances with Energy Star Rating. Energy Star rated appliances save you potentially hundreds of dollars a year in energy costs.
10. Change light bulbs. Replace older light bulbs with compact fluorescents to save energy and generate less heat.
Ready to buy a Santa Cruz home that’s more energy efficient? Give me a call today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com to get the process started!
For additional real estate information please visit my home page www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.
Energy Star Rating