If you're putting up your Santa Cruz home for sale, you're probably thinking about what you need to do to get it sold. Here is a list of do's and don'ts to help you along your way:
• DO take pictures of every room of your house. Look each picture over with a fresh eye; see what needs to be done to the rooms.
• DO clean, clean, clean. What may look like "family clutter" to you may also turn the buyer off.
• DO replace hinges that are broken or worn, tighten doorknobs, etc. Buyers going through the house will open doors and cabinets. Having a doorknob come off in your hand is a definite deterrent to buying.
• DO fix cracks and watermarks. You don't want to give potential buyers the idea that you still have plumbing problems.
• DO take the time to stage your Santa Cruz home for sale. This can significantly shorten the time it takes to sell, as well as raise the asking price.
• DON'T spend a lot of money on major upgrades unless you have to. While you may have to replace a water heater that's trying to quit, you don't have to replace a carpet - just get it cleaned.
• DON'T be stuck on one price. The real estate market changes constantly. Having a set price may get your home stuck on the market.
• DON'T use your tax appraisal as an estimate for your home's value. Compare your home to those in the neighborhood that have sold for a better estimate.
• DON'T pack until the sale is complete. If you absolutely have to, pack smaller things and hide the boxes.
• DON'T follow the potential buyers through the house. This can cause them to feel they need to move through quickly, which lessens the chance of them buying.
Putting up your Santa Cruz home for sale can be hard, especially if you've lived there for a long time. However, following these tips can help make the process a little easier.
When you're ready to sell your home, I can help you prepare it so it sells faster and for more money. Call me today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional real estate information, please visit my homepage at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.