De-cluttering your Santa Cruz home is an important part of preparing it for sale. Buyers want to be able to imagine themselves and their belongings inside your home. However, this idea isn’t limited to the inside of your home. It also applies to your garage.
Cluttered, over-crowded garages turn buyers away. Fortunately, sprucing up your garage is easier than you think. Here are some tips to get you started.
1. Start with a list. If you’re like most people, you probably don’t even know what’s inside your garage. Take a pencil and paper and walk through your garage, writing down everything you see. You don’t need a detailed list. For example, screws, bolts, and nails can be listed together as hardware.
2. Reduce the list. Cleaning your garage means getting rid of anything you no longer need or want. Just like inside your Santa Cruz home, the general rule is that you can toss any item you haven’t used in 1 year. If you don’t use it, it’s only taking up space. Give it away, trash it, or recycle it.
3. Group related items. It just makes sense to store items together. If all your camping supplies are stored in one place, you won’t waste time anymore looking for them. Place each item on your list in a group, like painting supplies, home repairs, winter blankets, etc.
4. Create zones. Decide what you want to do with your garage. If you want to park a car inside, designate a parking zone and don’t let anything but your car in that zone. Choose a work area where you can place a workbench or household projects. Garage storage zones should be at different heights throughout the garage.
5. Give it some personality. Once your garage is organized and clean, make it more attractive with some decorative touches. Paint the garage floor. Decorate it with an automotive theme. Upgrade to an automatic garage door.
With a little work, your Santa Cruz home will be ready to sell in no time. Let me help you prepare your home to sell. Call me today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com or visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.
Give it away
Paint the garage floor