Now that summer is behind us, it’s a good time to get up in the attic and assess your insulation. If it’s been a while since it was installed, there may well be peaks and valleys in it that are less than ideal for keeping your Santa Cruz home comfortable and energy-efficient.
Luckily, more insulation can be blown in over what you already have. Blown-in cellulose insulation is a good option because it’s considered a "green" product, is highly effective and is less costly than fiberglass. Here are several benefits to adding cellulose insulation:
• Allows you to recycle while you insulate. As they say, if you don’t buy recycled, you’re not recycling. Cellulose insulation is made from recycled paper and treated with a flame retardant for safety.
• Controls pests. Now you can get cellulose insulation that is also treated with boric acid, a safe insecticide that is effective against both types of termites and cockroaches.
• Prevents mold. Boric acid is also effective against mold and mildew. This prevention is continuous after installation.
• Decreases air infiltration. Cellulose insulation outperforms fiberglass.
• Makes your home quieter. Insulation affords soundproofing benefits.
• Saves money. Of course, the main reason to insulate is to reduce the cost of heating and cooling your Santa Cruz home.
• Increases comfort. You’ll be surprised at how snug your home feels after adding to your insulation.
• Earns a tax credit. Note, this is not just a deduction. A tax credit is directly applied to the amount of tax you owe. This credit is equal to 10 percent of the insulation cost (labor is not included), with a cap of $500. Act now, because this incentive expires at the end of 2011.
Added insulation is a good selling point in these competitive times and will continue to be so in the future with increasing energy costs.
If you prefer to buy a Santa Cruz home that’s already well insulated, I can help. Contact me today at 831.662.6522 or Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional information please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.