It's that time of year again… time to have a garage sale at your Santa Cruz home! This year, you can have your most successful garage sale ever. Here are a few tips to help:
• Advertise your sale in local newspapers and online. Many of the habitual Saturday morning garage patrons use the paper to plan their morning. They do this to make sure they hit all of the sales in certain neighborhoods. In the ad, mention your Santa Cruz home address, date and time of your garage sale and big or hot items you have for sale.
• Open early. It’s best to open early, around seven in the morning. Sales tend to taper off in the afternoon. Don't disappoint early shoppers who are typically your best buyers. They have a busy schedule and a lot of sales to hit. Open on time, or even a few minutes before the time you advertised.
• Make plenty of signs pointing the way to your Santa Cruz home. If your yard is difficult to see, or is not on a main road, post signs pointing the way. If allowed, post the signs near a main road and attach a few balloons to it. This will catch the attention of the passing motorists.
• Have everything clearly labeled with reasonable prices. Keep in mind that these shoppers are looking for a bargain and price accordingly. You can individually label each item, or use an easily readable color-coded chart. For instance, a blue sticker means 25 cents, red stickers mean 50 cents, yellow stickers mean $1, etc.
• Offer specials at different points during the sale. You can offer a “two-for-the-price-of-one sale” hour or a “twenty percent off during the next hour” special. Make sure to list your planned specials and their times at the bottom of your signs and newspaper ads. At the end of the day, you may want to have an unadvertised special such as "fill a bag for $1" to get rid of as much as possible.
• Donate leftovers. Make your life easier and do something good for others by donating any items that don’t sell. If you plan carefully, you can schedule a pick up by your local charitable organization at the end of your garage sale.
With these tips, you're well on your way to having your best garage sale ever.
Want more money saving ideas like this one? Subscribe to my blog and get home improvement tips emailed to you two or three times a week. It's fast and free.