If you’re putting up your Santa Cruz home for sale, it may be time to bring out the brush and spackle. This doesn’t just mean on the outside, but everywhere. If you’re not sure whether you need to do it, here are a few ways to tell:
1. Peeling exterior – You may be used to the home and not see the peeling paint, but, as any real estate agent will tell you, curb appeal is very important. If buyers don’t like the way your home looks on the outside, they very seldom go inside. If the paint is peeling, it’s time to redo it.
2. Eye-catching colors – While you may enjoy your robin’s egg blue house with canary yellow shutters, buyers may not. A Santa Cruz home for sale needs to be painted in a way that the buyers can see themselves living in it. If your house is painted in unusually eye-catching colors, you need to repaint in neutral tones. Stick with neutral colors for interior painting also.
3. Peeling/stained shed – If you have a wooden shed on your property, you might need to repaint it or even replace it. Exposed wood under the paint is a major detractor and an eyesore. It may not matter to you, but it will matter to the buyer.
4. Cracks in the walls – If the interior of your home has little cracks, seal the drywall with spackling and repaint. Though small, the cracks will be seen as a negative, even if the rest of the house is well cared for.
5. Cracked tiles or water spots on the ceiling – Who looks up at the ceiling anymore? The buyer will and will see that unsightly stain in the corner that you haven’t noticed for years.
6. Artistic inspiration – If you’re an artist and you found the need to express yourself on the walls, you might consider repainting. Ask your real estate agent before hand; some forms of expression may sell better than others. It might be slightly painful, so it’s okay if you let someone else do it.
When you have a Santa Cruz home for sale you have to be honest with yourself. Look at the house with fresh eyes and in a buyer’s point of view. If something stands out, it probably needs to be fixed.
If you’re thinking of selling your home, I'd be happy to give you suggestions on how to make it sparkle so it will sell faster and for more money. Call me today at 831.662.6522 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.