From location to age, many factors play into the desire to purchase a condominium instead of an unattached Santa Cruz home. If you want to live in a large city, freestanding houses may be few and far between. If you are older and don’t want to worry about yard work, then a complex where that’s taken care of might be for you.
Making the decision to purchase a condo rather than an unattached property can be tough. So below we’ve outlined some of the pros and cons of each option.
Pros and Cons of a Condo
• Tax benefits. Purchasing a condo gives you the same tax benefits as owning a house. You can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes from your federal taxes.
• Equity. Just as when you own a single-family property, you’ll be building equity and increasing your personal wealth.
• Association fee. On top of your mortgage payment, you’ll need to factor in your homeowners association fee. This is usually paid monthly or annually and goes toward maintenance of your building and grounds.
• Upkeep. If you’re not a natural handyman or gardener, then a condo might be right up your alley. There’s usually a hired maintenance person to fix any heating issues or leaking roofs.
• Noise. Be aware that you’ll share walls. This could be a major drawback if you have noisy neighbors.
Pros and Cons of an Unattached Santa Cruz Home
• Land. You own the land as well as the building. You have the freedom to add on to or knock down and rebuild a house without having to get approval from anyone, such as a condominium board. Although, you might have to file for city building permits.
• Maintenance. You’re in charge of the yard and the condition of your house. If anything breaks or is damaged, you’ll be the one who has to replace it.
• Privacy. You won’t have to worry about meeting neighbors in hallways, sharing thin walls or trying to fit your garbage into an already full trash can.
If you’re looking for a new Santa Cruz home and would like more information on either condominiums or single-family houses, please call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional real estate information, please visit my home page at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.
Purchase a Condo