If it’s time to hire a contractor to add onto or remodel your Santa Cruz home, you need to ensure that you’re hiring a professional you can trust. Here are some important questions to ask when you call:
• How long have you been in business?
• Are you bonded and insured?
• Have you completed a job like this before?
• Do you have a list of references I can contact?
• When can you start my project?
If you find the contractor easy to talk to, set up a time to meet in person. When that time arrives, if the contractor does not show up, or if he or she is late and does not call you, this is a red flag; don’t work with him or her.
When meeting in person with contractors, ask for their permanent business address; if it is a PO Box, ask why. Find out if they