If you are about to put your Santa Cruz home on the market, it’s worth investing some time and a small amount of money in staging. It not only helps your home sell faster, but it can also help you get a higher price for your home.
Here are six staging tips:
1. Banish clutter – Removing excess clutter is the single most important thing you can do when staging your Santa Cruz home. Clean, open space will sell your home. Non-descript, non-threatening décor allows people to envision living in your home and putting their individual stamp on the place. Ogling your collection of troll dolls, no matter how much they may be worth, will interfere with this process. Consider putting excess possessions in storage and keeping out only what is absolutely necessary.
2. Clean living – It should go without saying; scrub every inch of your home. Nothing kills a sale faster than roaches scurrying across the floor.
3. Mirror, mirror on the wall – Mirrors add light and space to small dark rooms and literally allow buyers to see themselves living in the home.
4. Repaint in neutral colors – When you move into your new home, feel free to paint every room chartreuse and fuchsia if you’d like, but for staging purposes, stick with muted, light colors. White in bathrooms is particularly recommended, as it suggests cleanliness.
5. Don’t forget the yard – Twenty dollars’ worth of mulch and a few fresh plants can give a clean look to shabby flower beds and save you weeding time. And don’t forget to declutter the yard as well – that battered old swing set the kids used 20 years ago isn’t adding to the curb appeal of your home.
6. Disguise detracting elements – Some elements you can’t fix – your neighbor’s dreadful rusting car collection, for instance. But you can put up fences or blinds that block less appealing views and make your home a peaceful oasis that buyers are anxious to purchase.
If you're looking for more information on selling your Santa Cruz home, I can help. Give me a call today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional information please visit my home page at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.