You’ve taken the leap, purchased Santa Cruz real estate as rental property and become a landlord. Congratulations! Now, you have to decide who’s going to manage your rental property… you, a resident manager or a property management company.
Hiring a property management company can be expensive. To help you determine if that’s the best business decision for you, here are some instances in which you may want to hire a property management company for your Santa Cruz real estate:
• You have many properties and rental units, and you don’t have time to do it all yourself.
• You live far away from your rental property. Many problems that arise with rental properties need immediate attention.
• You don’t want the hassle of having employees. Hiring a resident manager or others to help with your Santa Cruz real estate means dealing with all the hassles of having employees such as hiring and firing, supervising, providing a safe work place, supplying equipment needed to do the job and paying payroll and employment taxes. Property management companies are independent contractors, not employees, so you avoid all those hassles.
• You don’t want to screen potential renters. A management company can screen potential renters and handle any problems that arise with tenants.
• You don’t want to manage the property. If you don’t like handling the day-to-day operations of rental property or you prefer to spend your time building your business, a property management company can take care of everything for you.
• You can afford it. Fees charged by property management companies vary depending on the type of property (commercial versus residential), the number of properties and units you need managed, the area in which your properties are located and the services that are included. To give you a ballpark idea of the cost, the average property management fee is about 4% to 12% of monthly rent.
Need help finding a property management company or ready to buy Santa Cruz real estate to use as rental property? I can help. Give me a call today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional information please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com
Property management companies
Screen potential renters
Property management fee