When you have a home for sale in Santa Cruz County or elsewhere in the nation, you have to know the competition is fierce. Many home sellers think they have all their ducks in a row when a potential buyer comes to view the house, only to have a minor, forgotten issue blow the deal.
The Outside of Your Home
Your home’s exterior is the first thing potential buyers see up close. Online, you may have images of the front yard, back yard, kitchen and other rooms, but pictures can’t do justice to your home for sale in Santa Cruz County.
To prepare you home for that first up-close viewing, here are 17 outside tasks:
1. Power wash your siding and windows
2. Fix broken siding
3. Give the exterior a fresh coat of paint if it needs it
4. Paint the door and trim
5. Mow the lawn
6. Trim bushes
7. Remove oil spots from the driveway
8. Pick up all tools, toys or trash in the yard
9. Remove lawn ornaments
10. Clear weeds from the walkway and driveway
11. Plant seasonal flowers
12. Rake leaves
13. Clean roof and gutters
14. Sweep the porch, walkway and driveway
15. Clean fences
16. Take photos of a garden if it comes up each spring, as well as the yard when it’s fresh and green
17. Add tasteful landscape lighting if possible
Of course, not knowing what your specific home looks like, I can’t give a complete list, but these 17 items should get you off to a good start. Don’t forget that a few fall decorations can be the added touch that gets your home for sale in Santa Cruz County sold to a new owner!
If you’re trying to sell your home and need more pointers, I can help. Call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com or for more information visit my website at
Power wash your siding