Love it or hate it, winter is here. If you’re having a hard time appreciating that fact, there are some things you can do to make your Santa Cruz home more comfortable this winter, without running up your heat bill. Here are some to try:
• Check and lock windows. Even if you think your windows are shut, go around and check each one to make sure it’s snug - and lock it.
• Use ceiling fans. Consider adding ceiling fans to every room; they truly make a difference. Set them spinning in the correct direction to pull air up this winter so they displace warm air at the ceiling and send it down the walls. Set on the lowest speed, a ceiling fan evens out indoor temperature without creating drafts.
• Invest in insulated window treatments. Stop the costly escape of household heat and absorb solar heat during the day. Thermal window shades can stop up to 80% of heat loss.
• Close drapes/shades at night. This keeps the cold out and the warmth in.
• Bake! Remember when it was too hot last summer to even think about cooking? Now is the time to indulge in home-baked goodies.
• Drink warm tea. There is a tea for every constitution. If you haven’t discovered the soothing comforts of tea drinking, start exploring!
• Dress for winter. Don’t be in denial and run around in a T-shirt. It’s winter! Wear layers, wear wool, wear corduroy, wear flannel—then you can turn down the thermostat.
• Humidify. If you heat with wood, don’t forget to place a decorative ceramic container of water on the stove to increase indoor humidity. You can place a few drops of your favorite essential oil in the water for nice ambience.
• Sleep in flannel sheets. There is nothing cozier or more inviting. Flannel bedclothes mean instant warmth.
• Get a programmable thermostat. You can set it to drop the temperature a few degrees while you sleep, and bring it back up before you rise.
• Get off the couch! If you hibernate too much, you may get the blues. Be sure to dress warm and get outside—walk, ice-skate, sled, ski—whatever you enjoy, just get some fresh air and exercise. Then you can scurry back into your comfy Santa Cruz home, feeling refreshed and grateful to have shelter from the cold winds.
If you’re looking for a snug Santa Cruz home to purchase, I can help. Contact me at 831.662.6522 or Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional information please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.