Whether you’re looking to rent or have been renting in Santa Cruz recently, it'll likely come as no surprise to you that rental prices have skyrocketed over the past few years. It comes down to the fundamental principles of economics. When demand is high and supply is low, prices will trend higher than usual. Unfortunately, this doesn’t bode well for students, seniors, singles, and small households.
Recent market statistics shows that in July, the median home price was $725,000, and around 44% of homes on the market were priced at over $1 million. On the bright side, that means somewhere in the remaining 56% of the market there are affordable homes—you just have to look for them!