Leaves are starting to change color, nights are getting cooler and pumpkins are appearing on porches of Santa Cruz homes. All signs that fall is here.
That means it’s time to do fall preventative maintenance on all Santa Cruz homes. To help you get started, here’s a quick checklist:
• Have a professional heating contractor inspect your Santa Cruz home’s heating system. An annual furnace inspection ensures that your heating system is operating at peak efficiency and most importantly that it is running safely.
• Replace your furnace filter. Furnace filters need to be replaced frequently to allow your heating system to operate properly.
• Hire a certified chimney sweep clean. Have him inspect your wood burning stove or fireplace and clean the chimney.
• Check your home for water damage. Look for water stains on the ceilings or leaks under the bathroom and kitchen sinks. This minor water damage may seem trivial, but can lead to real problems, like a weakened roof or rotten boards.
• Tend your garden tools and equipment. Run all lawn equipment until the gas is gone. This removes flammable liquid from your garage. Drain water from garden hoses and sprinklers. Clean shovels, hoes, trowels and spades
• Inspect your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Replace batteries and clean the alarms if needed.
• Examine caulking. To prevent water from seeping into the sub-floor, inspect and repair the caulking around your bathroom fixtures. To reduce heat loss, inspect and repair the caulking around doors, windows and outlets.
Want more home maintenance tips like these?
Visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.
Tend your garden tools and equipment