What’s the best thing about owning your Santa Cruz home? Many people say it’s their yard. No matter your lifestyle, there are things you can do to improve your outdoor space and your quality of life. Here are a few ideas to help you get more enjoyment from your yard:
• Relax: Buy a lounger for sun bathing or a hammock for shade bathing
• Enjoy meals outdoors: Add a picnic table to make eating outdoors easier.
• Grow a garden: Whether it’s a vegetable, herb or flower garden there is nothing more rewarding than eating food or smelling flowers that you grew yourself. Start small if you’ve never gardened before. Like anything else, it’s easy to get burned out if you bite off more than you can chew. A few of your favorite vegetables and herbs will ensure success this year and have you planning more for next year.
• Install a water feature: You can put in a fountain or a pond. These needn’t be elaborate constructions, as there are small ready-made versions available.
• Go green by adding a clothesline: Believe it or not, there is something very satisfying about hanging your clothes out on the line and letting nature do its job. It’s using low-tech solar and wind energy to save you money. Your clothes, towels and sheets will have a truly fresh smell, as opposed to the cloying smell left by fabric softener.
• Invest in Solar-powered lighting: Options range from path lights that have built-in solar collectors, to string lights, to glow-in-the-dark globes that make your yard a magical nighttime delight. With no power cords to trip on, installation is a snap, and, of course, none of these features will add to your electric bill.
Day or night, there is nothing like having your own outdoor space. If you’re looking for a new Santa Cruz home with a yard you can make your own, call me at (831) 662-6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For more information, please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.