If you’ve been thinking about replacing windows, doors, roofing, insulation, the heating and cooling system and/or hot water heater in your Santa Cruz home, don’t delay!
You can qualify for the energy-efficiency tax credit by installing eligible energy-efficient products, but only until the end of 2011. For most upgrades, the credit is equal to 10 percent of the equipment cost (labor is usually not included), with a cap of $500. Remember, a tax credit is much better than a mere deduction because a tax credit is subtracted from the taxes you owe.
In addition, here are other benefits you’ll reap from a green renovation.
• Your home will be quieter. With tight new windows and doors, or added insulation, you won’t hear what the neighbors are doing, whether it’s honking their horns, screaming or playing loud music. Barking dogs? You’ll just sleep through it.
• Your home will be more comfortable. No more drafts in a green-renovated home. The temperature will be uniform throughout, wherever you are.
• You will save energy. Whether you increase your insulation, upgrade windows or install an energy-efficient furnace or water heater, your use of energy will go down. The tax incentives are aimed at saving energy, and it’s something you can feel good about.
• You will save money over time. One thing is guaranteed: energy costs will go up. The sooner you upgrade, the better it will be for your finances.
• You’ll be investing in your Santa Cruz home. All of these options will add to the value of your home.
If you’re looking for strategies to sell your Santa Cruz home, or if you’re ready to buy a “green” home, call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional information please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.