Most of us want to do everything we can at our Santa Cruz condo to be ready for an emergency. There are a few things that most experts agree should be in every emergency kit. Here is a quick list:
• Durable container: You’ll need to buy a plastic container that will securely latch and will be waterproof to keep food and clothing dry.
• Radio: A small radio is all you’ll need to keep in tune with the latest in weather news and emergency broadcasts. It would be a good idea to pack extra batteries, or invest in a hand-crank radio to be sure you always have access to the news.
• Light Source: Pack a few flashlights and several sets of batteries in case of a power outage. For added back-up, put in some candles and matches.
• Water: Pack bottled water and store larger bottles of water in a cool place. You can add a few bottles of a sport drink for variety.
• Food: Store non-perishable food, such as canned fruits and vegetables. Pack a protein source like peanut butter or canned tuna. Packages of crackers and cookies are a good idea, too. Nuts and dried fruits are nutritious, tasty, and have an added bonus of lasting a long time.
• Blankets: Include a blanket or two in the emergency kit. A change of clothes is also a good idea.
• First-Aid Kit: A first-aid kit should include antiseptic, bandages, aspirin, an ace bandage and an allergy medicine for allergic reactions.
• List of Emergency Contacts: Make a list of all your utility companies. Write down the best numbers to contact friends and family and include it in the kit. Don’t forget to add your primary care physician’s number.
Keep the emergency kit in an easy to find location in your Santa Cruz condo. You don’t want to be stuck looking around for it in an emergency.
A little preparation can go a long way in an emergency. Be sure to weather any crisis that could come up by preparing an emergency kit for your Santa Cruz condo.
Like this tip? Subscribe to my blog today! You'll get money saving home maintenance tips and valuable real estate tips automatically sent to your email inbox about twice a week.