You’ve decided it’s time to buy a new home, and you’re ready to hire a Santa Cruz real estate agent to help you through the process. Wise decision!
The agent you hire wants to provide the very best service for you. Here are several things you can do to help your Santa Cruz real estate agent do the best work for you:
1. Share your expectations. Exactly what do you want your real estate agent to do for you? Do you want him or her to provide an update to you weekly? What’s your preferred method of communicating – phone, email or text?
2. Get pre-approved for a loan. When you’re pre-approved, you have a better chance of getting that perfect home you find because sellers prefer to work with buyers who have been pre-approved for a mortgage. You’ll also know the price range of the home you can afford to buy.
3. Be clear about what you want. Prioritize a list of exactly what you’re looking for in a home and give that to your Santa Cruz real estate agent. Be sure to include as many details as possible, including the price range (which you know since you’ve gotten pre-approved for a loan), the number of bedrooms and bathrooms you need, the type of neighborhood you prefer to live in and the style of home you want.
4. Be honest and frank. If you have concerns about a home you’ve looked at, speak up. Share exactly what it was you liked and disliked about the home. If the agent is not living up to your expectations, tell him or her. Treat your agent the way you’d like to be treated and your relationship will flourish.
5. Go at your own pace. If you get tired or overwhelmed when you look at more than three homes in one day, tell your agent that you want to limit the number of homes to three per outing.
6. Be prepared to negotiate. Your agent will handle the contract negotiations for you, but you must be open to compromise. When you find a home you love, don’t lose it because you’re unwilling to negotiate. Place an offer and then counter-offer as many times as needed in order to get the home you want.
7. Remember that you have the final word. The agent can and will make suggestions, but the final decision is yours. When you find the home that fits your needs, be ready to say, “Yes, this is the one.”
Just like any other relationship, the client-agent relationship takes work. If you both do your part, you’ll be more relaxed, make better decisions and achieve your real estate goals.
If you are ready to find the right Santa Cruz real estate agent for your needs, please give me the opportunity to interview for the job. Call me today at 831.662.6522, or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com to schedule an appointment.
For additional information visit my homepage at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.