More festive candles are used in your Santa Cruz condo during the holidays than at any other time of year, so it’s important to review the safety rules. Here are few tips to keep your condo safe:
Candle Placement Preparation
It may sound silly, but you need to prepare before you light that candle. First figure out where you want to place the candle in your Santa Cruz condo.
• Find a heat resistant surface.
• Make sure there aren’t any books, papers, curtains, or bedding nearby.
• Watch out for flammable holiday decorations.
• Keep the candle away from windows and vents, and check for signs of a draft.
• Place the candle where children and pets can’t reach and where it isn’t likely to be bumped into.
Getting Ready to Light the Candle
• Before burning the candle, review the manufacturer’s instructions. Most recommend that the wick be trimmed to ¼ inch before lighting.
• Make sure to use only approved candle holders. Using an unapproved glass holder could cause it to burst and send glass everywhere.
• Place candles at least three inches apart so the additional heat doesn't cause them to melt improperly.
Burning the Candle
Now that the candle is lit, make sure to never leave it unattended.
• Watch the candle to see if it smokes or flickers a lot. This could be a sign that the candle isn't burning properly.
• Leave about two inches of wax when you extinguish the candle. Most manufacturers recommend that you don't burn the candle all the way down.
Putting the Candle Out Safely
The safest way to put out a candle is with a candle snuffer.
• Don’t use your fingers or blow out the candle; the flame may travel and cause a fire.
• Never use water to put out a candle; the wax may splatter and burn you.
• Wait until the wax is cooled before you move the candle.
Candles are a beautiful way to decorate for the holidays in your Santa Cruz condo. By following these simple safety suggestions, you can help to ensure that your holidays are happy and safe.
If you’d like to be in a new condo before the next holiday rolls around, I can help. Call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.