Moving to a new Santa Cruz home is a big deal, especially for a young child. It is common for children to feel apprehensive, overwhelmed or stressed during a move. Who can blame them? They might not understand what is happening and they are being relocated from a familiar and comforting environment to somewhere different and strange.
However, there are ways that you can help your children adjust and make the transition of moving to a new house easier. Below are tips to help you beat the moving blues.
• Talk to your children before the move and explain what is happening — why you are moving and where you will be going. Be straightforward and answer all their questions.
• From sadness to excitement, your children will have emotions associated with the move. These feelings are normal; so let your children know that it’s okay to express them.
• If possible, visit your new Santa Cruz home well in advance of the move. It helps a child feel much less apprehensive if they have a picture in their mind of where they are moving. Be sure to highlight some of the nice things about the area you are moving to, such as a great playground or beautiful lake.
• Make sure that you recognize their need to say goodbye to friends. Let them have a party and invite people over. Gather email addresses, Skype usernames and phone numbers in case your child wants to keep in touch with friends.
• When you arrive at your new home, give your children plenty of say in how they decorate their new rooms. This will help them to feel like they have control over their environment and they won’t feel so lost.
• Support your children in making friends at their new location. Sign them up for a club, introduce them to neighborhood children or invite another family over for dinner. The sooner they make a positive connection, the more settled they will feel.
Adjusting to a new home can be difficult for a child, but with plenty of love and support the transition can be much easier. If you’d like more tips for moving to a new Santa Cruz home, please call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For additional real estate information, please visit my home page at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.