Recently, environmentally friendly or “green” remodeling has become more and more popular. Nearly every day you see a TV show or online article giving tips on how to make your home and life more eco-friendly.
The catch is that green building can sometimes be extremely expensive. And, in most areas there really aren’t enough buyers specifically looking for features like rain water catch basins and solar panels to make it worth your investment. However, there are some relatively inexpensive ways you can remodel your Santa Cruz real estate that will benefit the environment and go easy on your wallet at the same time.
• Refurbish what you can while remodeling. If it’s possible to refinish existing cabinets and woodwork instead of replacing them, you’ll save yourself tons of money. And, nothing says eco-friendly like re-using old, good quality materials instead of throwing them in a landfill.
• Pay for extra insulation. If you’re doing a major remodel or building from scratch, pay for insulation that exceeds the minimum code requirements. You’ll see an immediate reduction in utility bills and that can be a great selling feature in the future.
• Use sustainable and green materials. Low VOC paints and bamboo flooring are eco-friendly and still look great. You don’t have to sacrifice your overall vision in order to make your home more environmentally sound.
• Invest in new, energy-efficient appliances. Again, you’ll see an immediate reduction in your power bills. Besides, what buyer wouldn’t love brand new kitchen appliances and a modern, tankless water heater?
• Upgrade your windows. The biggest drain on the overall insulation of your home could be old, worn-out windows. By replacing them with new, energy-efficient ones, you’ll get immediate benefits that your potential buyers will also appreciate.
With smart planning and careful use of your money, you can remodel your home in ways that will help the environment, save you money and appeal to buyers when it’s time to sell.
If you could use help adding some green to your Santa Cruz real estate, call me at (831) 662-6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com for more information.
Please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.