Even if you don't have the money for extensive remodeling, you can still live greener in your Santa Cruz home with just a few simple changes. Every little improvement we make in the way we live is a step in the right direction toward making our world healthier.
Low-Cost Ways to Green Up Your Home
• Catch the rain: Conserving water by putting in new low-flow fixtures is one way of helping to conserve the planet's resources, but it isn't the only way. You can build a rain water reservoir using old barrels or other large containers to catch rain and use it for watering your garden or washing your car.
• Light up your life: Change the incandescent bulbs in your light fixtures to the new florescent bulbs designed for use in a regular light socket. They last longer, burn brighter and use less electricity.
• Charge up your green: Be choosey on more than just what you spend your money and create debt on, be choosey on the means you use to get credit. Look for credit cards that support green living either by offering value added benefits for using their card or by contributing to earth friendly causes as a portion of their profits.
• Pick green contractors: When you do remodel your Santa Cruz home, pick contractors who use green materials and recycled products.
• Hang it up: One of the cheapest ways to make your Santa Cruz home greener is to hang a clothesline in the backyard. Take advantage of Mother Nature on nice days and hang your wash outside to dry instead of using the dryer, even if it's an Energy Star appliance. It will save you money and will save the environment too. Your fresh smelling clothes are just an extra bonus.
If you would like more tips on making your home green, subscribe to my blog. It's a very green way to get information because it's emailed to you. No paper or printing necessary.