Selling a home isn’t easy, especially now. Yet some homeowners believe they can stick a “for sale” sign in the ground and have the house off the market within a few days.
While FSBO (For Sale by Owner) sales do occur, four out of five homeowners still use a Santa Cruz real estate agent. Why? Because selling your home on your own is hard work, and even more importantly, statistics prove that real estate agents get homes sold faster and for more money than FSBOs.
If you’re not sure what you should do, here are a few things to think about:
Sometimes, for sale by owner purchases are a good deal for the homeowner. That doesn’t mean you should just jump in, however. FSBO might be a good thing for you if:
1. It’s a seller’s market
2. You don’t care how long it takes
3. You are unwilling to pay the typical Santa Cruz real estate agent commission
4. You have a good attorney who can keep you protected for the legal aspects
5. You have the time to learn how to do it, answer the phone and provide open houses
6. You’re comfortable negotiating
7. You’re confident you can price your home correctly
Real Estate Agent
Although you will have to pay your agent a commission, there are some definite benefits to hiring one:
1. A good agent can help you price your home correctly.
2. They have an abundance of resources to help find buyers, get the best price and get your home sold.
3. They make sure the potential buyer can actually afford it.
4. They’re good at negotiating and aren’t emotionally invested in the sale.
5. If for no other reason, they’re interested in getting the highest price possible because of their commission.
6. They put in several hours a day, that you may not have available, to get your home sold.
7. They have advertising resources, such as real estate magazines, that you may not be able to touch (or afford).
A Santa Cruz real estate agent may not be the best way to go for you. On the other hand, you may not have the necessary information and time required for FSBO. Before going one way or the other, take the time to really look at both sides and decide which works well with what you expect from the sale of your home.
If you've tried to go the FSBO route, and it didn't work out, or if you know FSBO isn't for you, I can help. Call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at email@example.com for more information.
1. Seller’s market
2. Good agent
3. Real estate magazines