Spring heralds the arrival of blooming flowers, chirping birds and warmer weather. It is also a perfect time to do some after-winter indoor maintenance. Here are eight indoor maintenance tips to help keep your Santa Cruz home in perfect operating condition:
1. Change air conditioning unit air filters monthly: Clean air filters help your unit run more efficiently, saving money on your energy bills.
2. Install environmentally-friendly window treatments: Save on utility bills by adding blinds to windows that face south and west. Open windows when the sun sets and close them at sunrise.
3. Examine your sump pump: Make sure the sump pump is operating correctly, and install a battery backup pump. The backup, another pump that floats above the original pump, will kick on when the electricity goes out. If your sump pump fails, an alarm goes off, letting you know the backup is working. A few hundred dollars will save you thousands in water damage.
4. Clean your condenser coils: Your refrigerator needs only a minimal amount of maintenance to run effectively. This maintenance consists of a simple cleaning of the condenser coil a minimum of once every 12 months – cleaning them once every 6 months is even better. This is very important to keep your refrigerator running more efficiently.
5. Inspect all doors and windows for leaks and drafts: Look for peeling and chipped paint, which can indicate that water seeped in. Caulk areas between the frame and the wall to keep water and drafts out of your Santa Cruz home. Examine putty and caulk lines around exterior windows and doors, and ensure that weather stripping creates a good seal.
6. Check for gaps where mice and insects might be able to enter: Seal around under-sink faucet pipes, gaps where cabinets meet the drywall, etc.
7. Replace caulking around sink faucets: If the caulking is discolored or worn away, this allows water to drip down inside the cabinets.
8. Pay attention to worn grout in kitchens and bathrooms: If grout is missing or cracked, re-grout and re-seal as soon as possible. In bathrooms, get in the habit of wiping down tiled shower walls after each use.
If you’d like help identifying repairs that need to be done before putting your Santa Cruz home up for sale, I’m happy to do a free, no-obligation walkthrough of your home. Call me today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com to schedule an appointment.
For additional information please visit my homepage at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.