Just because you’ve found some interesting Santa Cruz homes for sale doesn’t mean your house hunt is up. There’s much more to do before signing those closing papers, and one of the biggest is having the home inspected. In fact, getting a home inspection will probably be drilled into you by your real estate agent. Yes, it’s that important.
What can you find out from a home inspection report?
Although many people do get a home inspection, just as many have a difficult time deciphering the reports to find out what’s serious and what isn’t. To make it worse, inspections vary from state to state. Fortunately, the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors, who has a list of inspectors all around the United States and Canada, has a specific set of guidelines.
A general inspection doesn’t require a specific license. It covers such things as:
• Structure – how well the walls, ceiling, foundation and more are put together
• Exterior evaluation – landscaping, elevation, drainage, windows
• Plumbing – Checks the condition of piping and identifies the materials used
• Roof and attic – framing, flashing, gutters, ventilation
• Systems – water heaters, duct work, air conditioning, chimney, furnaces, sprinklers
• Garage – Slab, firewall, garage door
• Appliances – including smoke detectors
• Electrical – main panel, types of wiring, grounding, circuit breakers, light fixtures and more
The inspection reports will state whether the Santa Cruz homes for sale have serious health and safety issues, bad or old roofs, systems malfunctions, foundation problems, and moisture and drainage problems.
Some things require a specific license for inspection. Although you may not want to spend the extra money, these things can cause the “sick house syndrome” (people getting sick a lot for no recognizable reason). These problems should not be ignored:
• Mold, mildew and fungi
Some issues aren’t big and can be dealt with fairly easily. Other things, however, are expensive fixes and usually deal breakers. Before you sign closing papers on one of the Santa Cruz homes for sale, get that inspection done to find out what you’re really getting.
If you’re looking for a healthy home in good condition, I can help. Call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.