Want to go green but afraid it won’t work for condos in Santa Cruz? Get rid of your worries, because it’s definitely possible. It just takes a little thought!
1. Go Energy Star – Anytime you get a chance, use Energy Star appliances, lighting, heating and cooling equipment. When it’s time to replace something, look for the Energy Star option.
2. Use a power strip – Many people have a slew of chargers and electronics. Instead of plugging them directly into an outlet, use a power strip and then turn the power strip off when the electronics aren’t in use.
3. Get an energy audit – If you get an energy audit you can find out how your insulation and heating and cooling equipment is working compared to the condos in Santa Cruz. If it’s not up to par, you can find out where you need to start.
4. Check your seals – If you have windows and doors with poor seals, air can leak out, wasting the energy to heat or cool your condo.
5. Recycle – It’s cheaper than trash collection and helps the environment.
6. Rain catchers – Many condos in Santa Cruz have balconies with flowerpots and small beds. As well, many owners use potted plants inside as accents. If you’re one of them, use rain catchers on your balcony to reduce water usage instead of watering each plant with fresh water.
7. Low flow toilets and leaks - If your association allows it, install a low flow toilet in your unit to help conserve water. As well, check the toilet for leaks by putting food coloring in the tank and see if it moves to the bowel without flushing. If it does, you have a leak.
If you’re looking for a condo that’s already green, I can help. Call me at 831.662.6522 or email me at email@example.com for more information.
1. Energy Star
2. Get an energy audit
3. Low flow toilet