Many people have trouble relaxing, even in their Santa Cruz homes. Why? Frequently, it’s because of too much visual stimuli such as unfinished projects, knickknacks and clutter.
You may think the answer to being able to relax is to move into a “better” home. However, what usually happens is that you move your unfinished projects and clutter with you. Instead, if you take the time to get organized, you may find – like many owners who have backed out of a sale – that you don’t need to move, you just need to re-organize.
Take a moment from your busy, stressful life to read these tips and discover how you can improve and de-stress your personal castle:
1. Add money to your wallet. Unwanted or unused items can be turned into cash. eBay and Craigslist are two heavily-used websites where you can sell your unwanted/unused items. Make a little cash and clear the clutter.
2. Be generous. If you don’t want to sell your items, don’t throw them away. Donate them to places such as Goodwill. Online, there’s FreeCycle, where you can share your items and give them away to those who really need them.
3. Keep it clean. Set up a system to decide what to do with mail. Many people end up with piles of mail throughout the house. Rather than letting it pile up, decide the day you get it where that mail goes: trash, take action or file away.
4. Include your family in the de-clutter process. After all, your spouse and kids live there, too. As well, if others have a chance to give their input, they may be more willing to keep your Santa Cruz home organized. Let others in your family have a part in the decision-making process and implementation.
5. Take stray worry off your mind. You may be subconsciously worried about things in your home. Reduce the potential stress by creating a sense of safety. For instance, make sure your smoke detectors are working, that you have a radon meter (if necessary) and a carbon monoxide detector.
You may be thinking, “Home isn’t what stresses me out.” Are you sure? You might be pleasantly surprised how relaxed you’ll be when your home is de-cluttered. Your Santa Cruz home can truly become a place where you leave the stress at the door.
If you’re looking for a home to relax in after a hard day, I can help. Call me now at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com for more information.