Whether you’re preparing to sell or buy a Santa Cruz home, getting a home inspection is one of the most important steps you can take toward a successful real estate transaction. In order to get a thorough home inspection, you need to hire an experienced, professional inspector.
Here five things to ask before hiring a Santa Cruz home inspector:
1. Are you certified? The oldest and largest organization of home inspectors is the American Society of Home Inspectors. Another noteworthy organization is the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors. Both these groups provide training and certification. If a home inspector is certified by either of these organizations, you know you’re getting a qualified inspector.
2. May I see a sample report? Ask the inspector to send you a sample inspection report. If you receive a report that is 4 or 5 pages long, keep looking. This is not the inspector for you. A typical inspection report is 20 to 50 pages long and often includes color photos.
3. How long will the inspection take? You don't want someone who will be in and out in 90 minutes. A thorough inspection should take 3 hours or more. You want to make sure that the inspector takes the time to go through everything completely.
4. What’s included in the inspection? Home inspections vary widely. Make sure everything you want to have inspected is covered including major items like the roof, heating and cooling systems, foundation, plumbing and wiring.
5. What are your re-inspection fees? If the inspection turns up a problem that the seller is willing to fix, ask if there is a fee to re-inspect the Santa Cruz home after the repairs have been finished. Many inspectors will come back to check the repairs without charging you, but ask.
A home inspection is not fool-proof. But, by asking your Santa Cruz home inspector these five questions, you greatly reduce the likelihood of hiring an inspector who might overlook expensive or even dangerous defects.
Need a referral to a professional home inspector? Give me a call today at 831-662-6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For more information, please visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com.