Whether you need a contractor for a minor project like a plumbing problem or a major project like a room addition, it’s important to evaluate potential contractors before hiring them. Here are 5 steps to finding the best contractor for your Santa Cruz real estate project:
1. Get multiple quotes. Even if your toilet is overflowing onto your living room’s carpet, take the time to get 2 or 3 estimates. Haste can cost a lot more than replacing the carpet in your Santa Cruz real estate.
2. Check references. Talk with the former clients of the contractor you’re considering hiring. Find out what it was really like to work with the contractor. Two of the best questions to ask are:
a. What was your favorite thing about the contractor?
b. What was your least favorite thing about the contractor?
3. Call the insurer and licensing board. Confirm that the contractor you’re thinking about hiring has adequate and current liability coverage and a current license. Just asking the contractor is not sufficient.
4. Search for complaints. Search online on the company name plus the word “complaints.” It’s often surprising what you’ll find. Also, check with the Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints have been registered with them.
5. Negotiate a maximum hourly rate. If the job goes quickly, you won’t pay what could be a higher estimate.
I know it’s easier to just hire the first contractor who returns your call. Don’t do it. Taking the easy way out can cost you hours, days or weeks of frustration and hundreds of dollars.
Need the name of a professional contractor for a project on your Santa Cruz real estate? I’ve worked with several great contractors and would be happy to give you some recommendations. Give me a call today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com.
For a full list of my preferred contractors and service providers, visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com
Better Business Bureau