If you’re hoping to sell your Santa Cruz real estate in 2011, make some New Year’s resolutions to help the process along. Resolve to:
1. Interview and get a comparative marketing analysis (CMA) from at least three agents from three different Santa Cruz real estate agencies. Each agent has a different opinion about the value of your home and how to best market your home. Learn from each agent and then sign a contract with the agent you decide to hire.
2. Research the number of foreclosures and short sales in your neighborhood. To sell your home, find out how many foreclosures and short sales you’re competing against. This impacts the value of your property as well as the length of time it takes you to sell. Your Santa Cruz real estate agent can help you with this research.
3. Be realistic about price. After reviewing your three CMAs, talk with the agent you hired and come to an agreement on the price that can get your home sold. Ideally, that price should be at or just below the selling price of similar houses in your neighborhood that have sold in the past 90 days.
4. Counter offers. Be calm if a buyer suggests a lower price than you want. Don’t just snap his or her nose off. Consider your options. Can you afford to let the house go at the offered price? If you can and still want to say no, think about it… how long did it take to get this potential buyer? Super low bids are not insults; they’re a buyer’s way of testing you. So, even if an offer seems insulting low to you, counter it. If the buyer wants your home, he or she will come up to a realistic price.
5. Remain flexible. Make concessions where you can. The buyer wants you to pay part of the closing costs? That’s a great way to sweeten the deal. Fix those small problems found in the home inspection. Add on a home warranty. A successful sale means everyone walks away happy.
Put these resolutions into action, and your new year may turn out to be even happier than you expected!
If you’d like a proven marketing plan to get your Santa Cruz real estate sold, give me a call today at 831.662.6522 or email me at Lauren@LaurenSpencer.com. You’ll also receive a free competitive marketing analysis.
For additional information visit my website at www.MySantaCruzRealEstate.com
The agent you decide to hire